Easements and Utility Corridors

An easement provides another party access to a defined section of your property. For example, access is granted to service water and drainage systems, power or telephone cable routes, or even a driveway route to an adjacent property. Easements are associated with land itself, not the landowners. This means that when land is bought or sold the easements related to that land “go with the land.” The location of easements are noted on the Real Property Report, Plan of Survey or on the Certificate of Title.

Contact the Local Planning Department

If you are considering work next to an easement (such as a power box, drainage swale, roadway or property line), contact the planning department in your jurisdiction to find out what the required buffer zones are so that you know what you can and cannot do to and around the easement (a utility pole, an electrical box, or meter) on your property.

Call Before You Dig

If you need to dig on your property (i.e., to build a flowerbed, deck or anything that requires you to move dirt) you should familiarize yourself with the locations of all underground services. Utility services on your property can be located and marked for you FREE of CHARGE. For an appointment phone the “Call Before You Dig” service line at 1-866-828-4888.

Other Site Servicing Considerations

  • Do check for survey pins or metal covers that mark water shut off valve (sometimes called a “cc valve”) before making changes or additions within the area.
  • Do not cover the water shut off valve with concrete or asphalt. If youʼd like to pave or place concrete on your driveway, the water shut off valve must be made accessible by bringing it up to the top of the surface.
  • Do not get water on electrical boxes when watering the lawn.
  • Do not enclose gas meters when renovating. Enclosing a gas meter could result in a concentration of lethal gas that would normally be vented.